I must be a bit of a sucker for these themed challenges. I think purchasing the two fat quarters that came with this challenge means that I can’t not make something with them. As usual the two fat quarters were of completely unmatching fabric both in colour and design – we had a ‘knitted’ effect blue and green pattern and a black fabric with streamers of brightly coloured spots.
I have always loved those paper marionettes that you cut out the limbs and use paper folding clips to make the legs and arms move. The ‘knitted’ fabric called out for one of these puppets so I pretended that my quilt was actually a printed sheet of paper complete with instructions. I made the puppet pieces as individual shapes using applique, paint, carded silk for the hair, lace etc. I arranged the limbs into different poses and took photos before appliqueing the individual pieces to my ‘paper’ quilt. I used Inkjet fabric sheets from Electric Quilt to print the photos and the instructions onto fabric.
Below is the completed quilt. I’m delighted to say that it won a ribbon for ‘Best use of challenge fabric’ at Festival of Quilts in Auckland in November 2016.